27.11.08

A Special Thanksgiving Post to Make Your Holiday Even Better!

Facebook is the ultimate procrastination tool. Just about everyone has it except for a rare few who miraculously had no interest in joining the world’s largest community. Over the past couple of months, I’ve been trying to figure out why I am on the website at all myself. Every single picture is a candid photo of two people, one of them holding the camera as far away as possible to capture both faces. Status updates range from obscure quotes to how depressing the person’s life is, all of which I could care less about. The only exciting day of the year is your birthday when about a third of the people you are either friends with or ones you hardly know write on your wall to wish you a good one. Quite possibly, this is not everyone’s perception of the site, but it’s definitely how I’ve seen it as of late. Is it time for me to finally drop Facebook?

Of course there are many practical applications of Facebook, like finding a friend’s phone number or screen name who you need to get in touch with, or figuring out the relationship status of that secret crush of yours. You can use it to write on a long lost friend’s wall to let them know you’re still alive, or be on-and-off again friends with that ex-girlfriend who recently dumped you. Admittedly, I have used Facebook for all of the above at one point in my life. But of course, my favorite practical reason to use Facebook is to send and receive bumper stickers relating to inside jokes between my friends and I.

Since the summer after freshman year of college, I’ve wasted an estimated half of my life on Facebook. I was able to hold off joining the social networking site for an entire year, but for some reason I gave in to the temptation and made an account. Slowly but surely I have come to regret that decision I made over two years ago. By dropping Facebook altogether, I can’t even imagine how much extra time I will have in my life. I can’t find any justification for ever logging on, but for some reason I keep coming back. There must be cocaine lining the website that makes it so addicting.

I’ve decided to challenge myself. Being finals time and everything, this is coincidentally the perfect time to do it. I am not going to log on to Facebook for at least a month. Now, this is only a start that will hopefully lead to me being able to delete my account forever. For some reason right now, I can’t seem to bring myself to such drastic measures. I’ll have to start out slow. Maybe they have some sort of gum or a patch like they do for cigarettes. Hopefully going cold turkey will not cause irrational mood swings or intense headaches. I apologize in advance if I lash out at you for something trivial; just know what I am going through right now. Maybe I can load up on office mints to calm my nerves, which seemingly solves all problems, right Diane?

So please, feel free to write on my wall, tag pictures of me, send me bumper stickers, comment on photos of me, poke me (but not too hard ;-) ), invite me to events, request me to join groups, or anything else you could imagine doing to me Facebook related, but realize I won’t be there to see it until at least January, if ever.

I hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving filled with food and good times! I had enough stuffing to feed a small child for three lifetimes, that’s for sure!

Gobble Gobble!

No comments: