25.11.08

R.I.P. Favorite Jeans 09.04.06 - 11.24.08

Today marks the end of an era for a certain pair of jeans I wear.  These jeans have been nothing but a blessing since I bought them one marvelous day way back when. I remember it like it was yesterday...

I was home during Labor Day weekend my sophomore year of college. My birthday just happened to be the very next weekend (September 9 is my birthday for those of you unaware) so my parents gave me a little extra spending money. I decided to do a little shopping at the local mall to buy some new clothes and the like. Little did I know I would be making the single greatest purchase of my young life.  During my shopping spree I stopped in J.C. Penny, although not as cool as many of the other stores in the mall, still has a decent selection.  They were having an amazing sale on Levi jeans: Buy 1 pair and get the second for $1!  I did not have too many denim slacks at the time, so I decided to try on a few in the nearby fitting room.  I knew it was meant to be the minute I zipped up that fly.  I had to have them no matter what they cost.  Lucky for me they were pretty inexpensive at the time due to the incredible sale. I must go back to that J.C. Penny someday to thank them for selling me the jeans of the century.

My jeans and I had a good run for a long time. I noticed a few signs of aging a couple weeks ago but it did not bother me all that much since I assumed my jeans would last forever.  A few holes started to form, one in the crotch area and another in the back pocket. I was not even phased by the amount of damage my jeans began to take. I would wear them regardless. Or so I thought...

After taking my jeans out of the dryer not too long before my last blog post, I found a small hole in the left knee.  This made my laundry experience even more miserable than usual.  The tear was not too noticeable, making me less pertubed than I could have been. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was not realizing the hole was more trouble than I originally thought.

I woke up Sunday morning to go to Tank's breakfast before the Browns game when the unthinkable happened. As many of you know, I had a pretty wild Saturday, which did not help the situation whatsoever. I started to slip my left leg into my pants when MY BIG TOE WENT THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE KNEE! My Levis tore even more, making it an awful Sunday. I continued to wear them hoping for a few more days of glorious comfort. 

It wasn't until 10 o'clock tonight I realized my jeans had finally kicked the bucket, bit the dust, reached the finish line, flew the coop, bought the farm, and so on (I like euphemisms). I was chasing Jenny around like usual and dove to grab her. My knee slid across the ground, opening the hole from the inner seam to the outer seam, putting an end to the life of my favorite trousers.

Levi's 527 Low-Rise Boot Cut Jeans, you will be missed. We've had so many great memories together and hopefully someday I will be able to move on past this horrible travesty.  I will never own a pair of jeans that were as comfortable or that made me look as fabulous as you did. Thanks for all the good times. RIP.

1 comment:

Darja said...

this was my favorite blog post of all of the blog posts you've ever written.
<3
i especially love the mental image of you chasing the dog around the house.