25.1.09

The Scariest Moment in My Life

Last week I had a life changing experience, but not the kind you would want to have. Every time I think about it I get chills. This is going to be a hard story to tell. It will definitely be very emotional. Many tears will be shed on my part for your entertainment. Those who were there that fateful day on the third floor of Miriam Hall probably won't share in my pain at all because they just laughed at me the entire time. Whatever.

It was a just like any other day in the Flyer Enterprises office. I was working on the IT budget with Jessi and like usual Ryan and Annie were being loud and obnoxious. I yelled at them for a bit until they finally took the hint to take their conversation into the hallway. Once Jessi and I were done, I left the office to take the budget up to the new IT office on the sixth floor. Again, quite the normal day so far.

Being the extremely lazy person I am, I decided to take the elevator even though the stairs are right outside the office. After turning the corner past room 302, everything suddenly became eerily calm and quiet, as though to foreshadow upcoming events like authors sometimes do in books. I should have taken it as a sign to turn around right then and there and just take the stairs. Completely oblivious to the apparent danger in front of me, I continued on my journey to the sixth floor by way of the elevator.

When I finally arrived to the third floor elevator, Ryan and Annie were continuing their boring conversation about God knows what, probably about the latest pictures on "I Can Has Cheezburger?" I rudely interrupted the conversation since I knew it wasn't important to let them know what I was doing. As I was talking, I pushed the elevator button to beckon it. It arrived while in mid conversation so I held it open while I attempted to finish talking. And so began my brief journey into Hell...

Out of nowhere an alarm went off behind me. The elevator was furious that I would not let it close. Instead of trying to fight it, I walked in to let it do its job, leaving Ryan and Annie to whatever they were doing before. As I stepped in, the elevator doors began to close. But not the normal close that takes 5 seconds. The doors began to close incredibly slow, like in some sort of horror movie. I did not know what was going on. I thought the doors would close and leave me in some sort of Saw-like type situation where I have to solve a puzzle in a certain amount of time otherwise the elevator would plummet to my doom. My head was spinning, I began to hyperventilate, and I collapsed to the floor in fear. All the while Ryan and Annie stood outside in safety and laughed.

The next thing I knew, I was lying on the elevator floor unaware of my surroundings. As I began to stand up, I realized I made it to the sixth floor in one piece. Thanking God to be alive, I bolted out of the elevator and kissed the ground in celebration. I just went through a Dante-esque journey to Hell and back. I went on my way to Miriam Hall 615 to drop off the budget and to never again take the left elevator in that building ever again. It may be a new phobia, but crazier things have happened right?

In case you were interested, my other phobias include spiders and people touching my achilles tendon. I hate when people find out about the latter because it usually follows with a strong desire for a person to grab it. I figured I would save myself the hassle and let you know on my blog in hopes of you forgetting when you see me in person.

***Disclaimer***

This story is based on true events. Just as Hollywood does to increase box office sales, I exaggerratted just about every part of the story. In fact, most of it did not actually occur.

***Disclaimer of the Disclaimer***

Although I may say most of it did not actually occur, the incident with the elevator is mostly true.

*********Also*********

Please do not touch my achilles tendon. I'm serious.

1 comment:

specks said...

He is totally serious about the tendon, he HATES it!